Friday, April 15, 2011

Makin' Salve


Last night I made two new salves,
Pau D'arco Salve and Ultimate Salve.

Salves are made by steeping healing herbs in olive oil.
Some people set them in jars in to steep in the sun for weeks on end, but I use James Green's method of evenly heating them in the oven with the door slightly ajar for 5-6 hours.
I like this method better because it ensures zero mold growth.

(I hate to break it to you, but if you have ever purchased a "cold infused" salve that sat on someone's window sill for 6-8 weeks, that salve had mold in it. Yuck.)

Beeswax and essential oils are then added to make the salve thicken. It is a magical process. Making salve is one of my absolute favorite things to do.

The New Pau D'arco Salve and Ultimate Salve are now available for purchase:


Love love,
Elecia
 (folkspirit)

2 comments:

  1. Wow this all looks awesome and makes me want to live a more simple and healthier life! Can't wait for your recipes and info to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Salves are next on my list to order from you! It is exciting to watch your work expand!

    ReplyDelete